Weather Info

Click for Goldendale, Washington Forecast

Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow, Snow, Everywhere


It makes me think of those lines from the Ancient Mariner, "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink."


The trees were so laden down Keith had to brush the snow off so they wouldn't break. We have more snow from this continued storm than we've had total for the last several years. This is really unusual. Normally the first few snowfalls are just a few inches, and they melt away. This is our first snow and it appears as though it's here to stay. Of course, who knows? With our crazy weather it could warm up and all be melted by Christmas.
This is more like the winters were many years ago. I've always heard that the weather goes in cycles. It appears that we are headed back to the hard winters. I've seen photos of Multnomah Falls when it was frozen over. I believe that was the winter of '52. Anyway, it was in the early 50s.
I remember as a child in Portland when the snow was so deep we made tunnels under the snow. And then there was a Silver Thaw. (They call them ice storms now.) Silver Thaws were so pretty. As a child one doesn't think about how the roads are, or the damage to the trees, etc.
Just the term sounds much nicer than ice storm!
Stay warm and dry,
Happiness List
I'm happy the power hasn't gone out.
I'm happy I've no place I HAVE to be today.
I'm happy my pets enjoy being in the house with me.

1 comment:

  1. I love your happiness list -- what a terrific idea to remind us of our blessings! We've had a little bit of snow, but nothing compared to yours. Hope you stay warm and safe and snug, and have a wonderful Christmas! Dianne B. in England

    ReplyDelete