Weather Info

Click for Goldendale, Washington Forecast

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Quiet Weekend

Friday evening I set out two more tomato plants along with two zucchini and a cucumber. I also have two good sized rhubarb plants. That's the start of my kitchen garden. Keith finally got the bed finished and filled for me. It looks so nice!

You've got to wander over to Kalama Quilts and watch the video of Sharyn hooping! Fantastic! You'll see what I mean!

Being diabetic is quite a challenge for me but I came across this recipe for rhubarb crisp that I could easily modify to my requirements. Not Keith's Mom's rhubarb pie but under the circumstances I guess it'll do!

Rhubarb Crisp (adapted from Mindy Breckenridge's cookbook)

Filling

12 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 1/4 cups fructose
1 1/2 Tbs vanilla

Combine rhubarb, water and salt in a large heavy pot. Bring to a boil and simmer with the lid on until tender. Mix cornstarch with sweetener. Pour gradually into boiling rhubarb while stirring quickly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into ad 13x9 glass baking dish and set aside.

Filling

1 1/2 cups flour (I'm allergic to wheat so I used millet flour)
1 1/2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (opt)
1 cup sucanat OR brown sugar
1/2 cup fructose
1 cup butter OR margarine

Combine four, oats, sucanat and fructose in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Crumble over rhubarb filling. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes.

It was so GOOD to find something that satisfied my sweet craving without raising my blood sugar through the roof! I still practice portion control, but just the fact that I'm not totally deprived is a treat. The millet flour had a texture somewhere between cornmeal and regular flour. Not objectionable in this particular recipe.

I haven't been doing much on the quilting lately. I did actually get out a quilt I need to get sandwiched, looked at it and then at the beautiful day outdoors and thought, Nah! I want to get that quilt all done so I can do something else. I found the cutest purse pattern and want to make it. (I have a purse fetish!) I change purses like...well, you know.

Sunday Greatful's

For a beautiful day
For a long weekend
For my family
For a quiet place in the country
For the Internet

Ya'll have a GREAT holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Hello 'Grandma Shell'
    It has been a while since I visited your site; I just enjoyed sifting through your last few posts.
    This Rhubard recipe sounds PERFECT---I was out looking for a recipe the other night to use up some of my rhubard before it "gets out of season." This will fit the bill perfectly!

    We must be located at about the same latitude since you were also planting over Memorial Weekend; I am in Nothern Wisconsin. However, we did lose some pepper plants and most of our "early" watermellon because we actually had FROST Advisories the first week of June!

    Happy Wednesday
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete